How To config/connect polycom IP301's to the *NOW appliance?

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

How To config/connect polycom IP301's to the *NOW appliance?

Postby xsysinc » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:31 pm

O.K. I installed *NOW beta5 and have it running & configured for the most part, but I can't get my Polycom IP301 phones to interact with the asteriskNOW appliance server I set up?? I have the phones set to use TFTP, IP is set, user id is set to the phones extension, they are set to use the default SIP configuration. I can ping both the *NOW appliance server & the Polycom phones. I manually went in & turned off the *NOW firewall which I read on a post fixes alot of issues. It seems like they are close to connecting because of how long it takes when the Polycom's try to connect to the *NOW server. But then I get a "unable to connect to the boot server" messege? Am I just screwed or is there some way to fix this? Help me PLEASE???
xsysinc
Newsterisk

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:14 pm

IIRC, TFTP is how they get the BIOS image for settings and configuration. And that's not what you want, Asterisk isn't a TFTP service.

Turn off TFTP and statically configure the phones (it sounds like you've already done the latter), and ensure you're opening the SIP connection to the asterisk server properly.
VxJasonxV
Newsterisk

Connecting polycom ip301's to *NOW???

Postby xsysinc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:51 am

O.K. I see about the TFTP & stuff but should the phone's be set to get their IP's from DHCP or static also?
xsysinc
Newsterisk

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:42 am

That's dependent on your network.

If you have a DHCP server (i.e. just a router in your house?) DHCP is probably ok.

Otherwise you can statically assign usable IP addresses to your phones.

DHCP is probably the easiest (turn them on and go), but it'll only work if you have a DHCP server.
I can't help you too terribly much because I don't know what your network configuration is.
VxJasonxV
Newsterisk

polycom nightmare continued...

Postby xsysinc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:42 am

I have the polycom pluged into my LAN & the *NOW server is on a 3com switch, which is doing the dhcp & has a pipe to the network as well. I tried to setup the polycom with it pluged in to the same switch as well, but it didn't seem to make a difference? I am being pushed to test this system for my company & if all goes as planned we will purchasing the product, i.e. the support contract & licensing & etc.

I have recently come to realize my issue may be due to my *NOW server not having the polycom directory needed for the phone to connect with such files as: SIP.cfg, <polycom mac address>.cfg(for the bootrom file), along with some others? Is this correct? If so, I am able to get to the root to configure these, but I don't know how to? I created the polycom user & password, but I 'm lost after there? I have some bootrom & SIP.cfg, files I'm planning to put in the directory once it's ready? Is there any WiKI out there that can make this less painful?
xsysinc
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support